Shortly after World War II, Jim Northrop and George Johnson formed a partnership to provide a quality yacht brokerage service to their close circle of yachting companions on Long Island Sound. The first Northrop & Johnson office opened in 1949 at 366 Madison Avenue in lower Manhattan and served as the foundation for the fledging brokerage house. Here began Northrop & Johnson's true-blue "Yankee" heritage, which is reflected in the company's reputation for honesty, integrity and fair play.
Quickly, the word about the "Gentlemen Brokers" of Northrop & Johnson spread throughout the tight-knit yachting community of New York, thus creating the platform on which the company's sterling reputation was built. By the early 1960s, Northrop & Johnson had expanded with branch offices in Stamford, Connecticut, Miami, Florida, and Marblehead, Massachusetts. In 1971, Kees Van Vliet opened the first U.S.-affiliated yacht brokerage office in Europe; the office was based in Cannes, France. By the late 1970s, additional offices were added in Newport, Rhode Island, Puerto Buenos, Spain, and St. Petersburg, Florida.
During the 1970s and 1980s, Northrop & Johnson became the premier large yacht brokerage in the United States. Many of the industry’s most recognized names began their careers at Northrop & Johnson. Today, Northrop & Johnson is recognized at every major yachting venue throughout the world. Northrop & Johnson's strategic alliances and network provide abundant support and representation for the vessels in our fleet in every major yachting center. All Northrop & Johnson brokers have access to market intelligence and a vast database to deliver the most valuable support.
With more than six decades of longevity and 17 offices worldwide, Northrop & Johnson provides services that are customized to meet all of a client's yachting needs. Northrop & Johnson is a tradition in yachting as the world's foremost authority on the sale, purchase, charter, management and new construction of luxury superyachts.