We’re in a new golden era for members clubs — and the modern travel club is the membership that surpasses all.
While the concept of a private society dates back for centuries—originally as a place for the aristocracy to gather unburdened by the public eye—today’s modern clubs are flourishing with a more worldly point of view. A nexus for like-minded individuals, the most valuable memberships reach far beyond the walls of any clubhouse, offering a horizon-broadening environment. And with the joys of wanderlust at an all-time high, there’s a new club emerging as the most coveted membership of all: the luxury travel club.
For the world’s most influential globetrotters (think entrepreneurs like former AOL executive Steve Case or of-the-moment artists like photographer Gray Malin), Exclusive Resorts is the membership of choice. Since 2002, the club has taken its coterie of more than 4,300 members to some of the world’s most sought-after locales, from Europe to the Caribbean and beyond—with a nearly one-billion-dollar portfolio of private homes, rare experiences and more around the globe. Like any club, members pay a one-time initiation fee (starting at $175,000 for a 10-year plan) and set annual dues based on the number of nights they would like to travel each year. (Most opt for 25 travel days and a suite of club benefits, starting at $39,875 annually.*)
Since 2002, Exclusive Resorts has taken its 4,000-plus members to some of the world’s most sought-after locations. What they get in return is more than an entry to a club; it’s a connection—to family and themselves; to new cultures, friendships and perspectives; and to a whole new world at their fingertips. Here, members and experts share why travel clubs are the modern membership that matters most.
- You’ll find your travel community—while checking off your bucket list: The Exclusive Resorts social calendar is full of VIP experiences, once-in-a-lifetime journeys and members-only events—all of which bring you closer to others who share your passions and interests, whether it’s for fine wine, fast cars or the French Open. “We are active travelers, and we’re certainly still having fun after all these years,” says Brian Longo, who has traveled to Rwanda, Kilimanjaro and Antarctica on members-only Club Journeys. Blend your own red on a wine weekend in Willamette Valley, watch the Grand Prix de Monaco from a private yacht, rub elbows with Michelin-starred chefs or play with the pros at Pebble Beach®, all with fellow members.
- Location, location, location: Exclusive Resorts doesn’t just take its members to the most sought-after destinations—it takes them to the best five-star hotels and resort communities in the world. On beaches, they stay in sprawling villas at Mexico’s Rosewood Mayakoba, Four Seasons’ Resort Anguilla and the Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman. In Europe, they call the Peninsula Paris and Casali di Casole in Tuscany home. And from coast to coast, they are regulars at some of the country’s most-awarded resorts, from The Cloister in Sea Island, Georgia to California’s Montage Laguna Beach.
- More space and privacy—for less: Forget shared hotel rooms. Say goodbye to cramped suites. Exclusive promises room for all—and then some. In fact, more than 50% of the residences in its collection are four-bedroom, many with private pools, expansive outdoor terraces, media rooms and en suite accommodations for all. Even better: It often comes at a fraction of the cost, says member Chris Jackson, who joined the club in 2021. “If you’re spending a week in Hawaii, just getting a suite for four guests during peak season is roughly what the annual dues are for Exclusive Resorts,” he says. “The initiation fee quickly pays for itself.”
- Every trip comes with an entourage: Every time you travel, you’ll have a dedicated on-site concierge to manage every detail. They do the grocery shopping, arrange the housekeeping, book the transportation—and the massage too. Ready for a night out (and a babysitter)? Done. Trying to snag New York City’s hottest dinner reservation? Booked. A private chef, yoga instructor or guide for an epic outing? Just ask. “It’s hassle-free, worry-free vacationing,” says Nick Branca, club member since 2009. “Wherever you go with the club, you know it’s going to be excellent.”
- Bid farewell to the second-home curse: Say goodbye to the headaches and pitfalls of ownership, maintenance and the burden of visiting the same place time and again. Because the club owns the majority of its core portfolio, residences are regularly upgraded and customized with chef’s kitchens, the latest luxury furnishings and state-of-the-art technology. “Second homes often seem like great investments,” says Steve Case, who acquired majority ownership of the club after joining in 2003. “But what often happens is that you use it less than expected and are surprised by the expense and hassle of owning another property.”
*Annual dues subject to change in accordance with membership agreement. Annual dues are determined based upon the active membership plan chosen. The annual dues amount reflected herein is inclusive of certain services, benefits and access rights. Membership is subject to terms and conditions of club membership agreement. Club membership does not provide or constitute any investment, equity or ownership interest, or any real property interest.