Hotel Camiral – PGA Catalunya Resort
Part of the PGA Catalunya Resort, Hotel Camiral provides access to two multi-award.winning championship golf courses, the Neil Coles-designed Stadium Course, and the Angel Gallardo Tour Course. Less than an hour from Barcelona, the 136-room hotel combines contemporary architecture and urban-chic interiors by Lázaro Rosa-Violán and includes nine suites.
Why play? The European Property Awards ranked the resort “Best Golf Development in Europe” and Top 100 Golf Courses has ranked the Stadium Course as the best golf course in Spain.
- What else? When not on the links, activities include lake fishing, walking trails, biking, swimming, tennis, sky diving, ballooning, and even zip lines. The hotel was named in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2019 Gold List. Both courses can be closed for private events, and you can even customize the flags — would having your yacht’s name be too much?
- Sleep? Navigator recommends the 1,722-square- foot two-bedroom, two-level Presidential Suite.
Terre Blanche Hel Spa Golf Resort
The profile of France’s golf game was heightened when it hosted the 2018 Ryder Cup, the first time it had served as a venue for the trans-Atlantic challenge. Terre Blanche Hôtel Spa Golf Resort, which features two Dave Thomas-designed championship golf courses, Le Château (ranked 14th in Continental Europe) and Le Riou (annual site for the Ladies European Tour Access Series), is set on 750 acres so you can helicopter in from your yacht in the nearby Med.
- Why play? The complex was voted the Best Golf Course in France 2017 by Leading Courses while Golf World ranked it as Best Golf Resort in Continental Europe for 2016 and 2017.
- What else? Designed as a Provence-style village, the hotel features a number of suites and villas connected by garden walkways. There’s a full spa, and for dining, there are five restaurants, including Chef Philippe Jourdin’s Michelin-starred La Faventia.
- Sleep? Stay in the three-bedroom, 3,200-square-foot Villa Terre Blanche with its own private pool or either Villa Esterel or Villa Provence, both 2,045-square-foot two-bedroom villas.
ITC Grand Bharat
Luxury Collection Retreat, Gurgaon Delhi’s new and fast-growing business district Gurgaon is home to ITC Grand Bharat, a Luxury Collection Retreat with South Asia’s first and only 27-hole Jack Nicklaus signature golf course set on 300 acres.
- Why play? There is an 18-hole Signature Championship course and a nine-hole Signature Canyon course with fairways that are embedded in the hills and knolls of the Aravalli Mountains.
- What else? Described by Forbes as “the most luxurious
retreat in India,” there are five full restaurants, two swimming pools, and 30,000-square-foot spa featuring 64 different treatments, a past winner of Best Spa in AsiaSpa.
- Sleep? Site of multiple Indian Opens, the hotel features four 5,800sqft Presidential Villas and 100 suites averaging 780 square feet.
Located between Durban and Cape Town, with three Gary Player 18-hole championship golf courses, South Africa’s Fancourt was named Golf Resort of the Year in 2018 by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators.
- Why play? The Links Course is rated number one in the US by Golf Digest.
- What else? The Spa at Fancourt with 11 treatment rooms, including one dedicated for couples, was named “Best Hotel Spa in South Africa” at the annual Les Nouvelles Esthétiques Spa Awards last year. In addition to golf, the spa and four dining options, the resort is a good base for a variety of activities, from bird watching, boat charters, game drives, hiking, horse riding and kayaking to mountain biking, paragliding, shark cage diving, snorkeling, whale watching, windsurfing, and wine tasting.
- Sleep? Stay in The Manor House, a boutique hotel experience awarded Best Newcomer in Africa 2018 by Conde Nast Johansens. Its amenities include the Monty Bar, The Manor House Library, a private swimming pool, and The Manor House Lounge. Stay in the two-bedroom, 1,700-square-foot Master Suite, or choose the main hotel. There are two 950-square-foot two-bedroom suites with separate living rooms and dining rooms with fireplace, each offering golf course views.
After closing for an 18-month renovation, neo-Gothic Adare Manor’s reopening in 2017 has been greeted with unanimous praise. Virtuoso, a network of 17,500 luxury travel advisors, voted it “Hotel of the Year” in 2018.
- Why play? Just as interesting was the rebuild of its 18-hole golf course by Tom Fazio which placed it on Golf Digest’s 2018 list of Best Golf Resorts in Great Britain & Ireland alongside The K Club, Trump Turnberry, Gleneagles, and the Old Course at St. Andrews.
- What else? The spa features an indoor pool, making it an all-
year destination and there are a plethora of activities, including archery, falconry, fishing, game shooting, horse riding, biking, and walking. There’s even a private cinema. There are five restaurants, including The Oak Room where Michael Tweedie was a finalist in the 2018 San Pellegrino Young Chef competition last year.
- Sleep? You can choose between two-and four-bedroom lodges, two three-bedroom cottages, or the 1,076-square-foot signature suites, featuring historical tapestry wall hangings, original 19th-century art and Georgian-inspired furniture with views of the formal French Gardens and River Maigue.