Single skin glass fiber/aramid hybrid construction using vinylester resin with local carbon reinforcements. A high proportion of the fibers are unidirectional, giving a stiff laminate with excellent strength and fatigue properties. Structural bulkheads are of honeycomb cored carbon fiber epoxy pre-preg construction and laminated to hull and deck. Stiffener flanges are unidirectional carbon fiber layups over GRP shells. Engine beds are of GRP with steel inserts.
Darkened hull windows are made of “Formglas Spezial Safety Glass,” 3 on each side of the hull and 13.5mm thick. Black border on each glass for application of glue and to protect glue from UV rays. Portable shutters for emergencies. Chintzo white, Ocean Air, electric pleated blinds.
The topsides were painted dark blue (2019) at the Lyman Morse yard in Maine, using Awlgrip. Hull stripes are white.
The bottom has uncolored gel coat below the waterline. Bottom was treated with an epoxy primer at the factory. 3 coats of Seahawk Tough Coat epoxy primer was applied in 2017. In 2019 the bottom was stripped back to the epoxy and anti-fouled.
The ballast bulb in lead casting in one piece, made with 3% antimony-lead alloy. The fin is a stainless steel cast structure. Keel bolts are of high tensile stainless steel. Keel was removed in 2018/2019 and stainless steel fin keel was separated form the lead bulb for inspection. A tighter fit, between the bulb to the fin and the fin to the hull was obtained.
The mast is stepped through the deck onto a carbon fiber mast step. Tie rods from mast collar to step.
Sprocket and chain steering gear sheaves provided with guards to prevent jamming. Lightweight aluminum steering quadrant bolted to the rudder stock. 2 x 47” destroyer type composite wheels, 4.0 turns HO to HO. Steering sheaves are bronze with stainless steel needle bearings. Composite pedestals with roller bearings. In 2019 the steering system was inspected and overhauled. This included new rudder bearings and replacing the quadrant. Also included checking rudder for water penetration. None was found.
Through Hull Fittings
Seacocks (replaced with new 2019) in bronze for all through hull connections below the water line. Inboard side of seacocks fitted with stud long enough to take 2 hose clamps.
Storage space in the stern for a 3.5m dinghy with hydraulically operated launching platform. Platform was overhauled in 2019. Winch for hauling. Dinghy garage is fitted with a ladder with teak treads for access to the main deck. The transom hatch has a swim ladder with flush stainless steel fittings. Both ladders store in the dinghy garage. Hot and cold water deck shower with hose adapter (see plumbing).
Port and Starboard Lazarettes
Stowage for boat and sailing gear. Multiplex Passarelle made of carbon fiber and electrically extended with removable hand rail. Located in the upper Port transom. Passarelle was overhauled in 2019.
Side Boarding Ladder
Light weight custom carbon fiber side boarding ladder. Usable from a floating dock or a dinghy. Stowable in the sail locker.
Shore Power Connection Locker
Hinged lid flush with transom. Shore power cable outlet via a cable master unit. City water connection with pressure regulator.
Fore Peak / Sail Locker
Watertight bulkheads aft
Main deck is of carbon fiber pre-preg sandwich construction with honeycomb core and glued to the hull. High density foam core under deck fittings. The coachroof and coamings are of carbon fiber using vinylester resin and low density foam core. White NGA weather resistant gel coat.
Laid with 9mm quarter sawn teak battens on side decks, coaming tops and cockpit sole. Glued and vacuum bagged without screws.
- 1 x Harken B1130 STHA mainsheet.
- 2 x Harken B1130 STHA primary winches located on the cockpit coaming.
- 2 x Harken B1130 STHA secondary winches located on the cockpit coaming.
- 4 x Harken B990.3 STHA utility winches located close to the mast partners.
- Snubbing winch replaced (2019).
Lewmar vertical 5000 hydraulic windlass recessed in fore deck. Controls on a wandering 11ft lead. Windlass has a winch handle controlled friction brake to allow a more controlled lowering of the anchor.
A Maxwell retractable mooring winch on foredeck, port side.
System allows for stowage of anchor below deck by the use of a hydraulically controlled stainless steel arm. Overhauled in 2019.
Carbon fiber main shroud chain plates and chain plates for split backstay attached to the hull structure. Recessed Headstay chain plate.
Running Rigging Fittings
Hard anodized aluminum tracks for working jib with custom made cars and stoppers. Blocks in front of tracks for jib car towing line.
Reaching sail sheet points on side deck. Lead blocks at base of mast for halyards and reef line to winch when loaded. Jammers for halyards and reef lines on Boom.
Recessed stainless steel flush fittings for screw in blocks and eyes for:
- Gennaker tack on stem.
- Gennaker sock down haul in front of mast.
- Trysail sheets.
- Leads on side decks to Harken 1130 STHA winches.
- Running backstays.
Other Deck Fittings
- Composite stainless steel fairleads integrated into bulwark, 2 forward, 4 amidships and 2 aft.
- 16” retractable mooring cleats, 2 on the foredeck, 2 amidships and 4 aft deck.
- Stainless steel pulpit (modified 2019 to reduce outside the pulpit jib sets), pushpit and life line stanchions 680mm high and spaced to conform to ORC requirements.
- Stainless steel wire lifelines with polished turnbuckles and eyes. Gates in lifelines each side amidships and in the pushpit.
- Stowage for 2 x 8-man life rafts under cockpit seats.
- Composite mast collar designed for use with Spartite support.
- Stainless steel fittings to secure safety lines on deck.
- 2 lifting standing platforms, 1 at each helm.
Hatches and Windows
All hatches were overhauled and refurbished (2019). Deckhouse side windows of Parsol grey tinted glass.
Teak covered, flush mounted, hinged composite deck hatches on fore deck:
- Anchor stowage
- Gas locker
- Sail locker
Tinted custom Nautor composite deck hatches, flush mounted with white frames, located:
- 1 in each crew cabin
- 1 in forward guest cabin 1 in forward guest head 3 in galley
- 1 in crew head
- 4 in owner’s cabin 2 in saloon
- 1 in aft guest cabin port
- 1 in aft guest cabin starboard head 1 in owner’s cabin head
- 2 light inlets in aft corridor.
- 1 light inlet in owner’s cabin.
Operable port holes on coaming located:
- 2 in starboard aft guest cabin
- 1 in port aft guest cabin head
- 1 in owner’s head
Pneumatically powered main companionway sliding hatch of tinted acrylic and vertically sliding door with white gelcoat finish.
Teak covered flush mounted hinged composite deck hatches on aft deck for:
- Dinghy garage
- Port and starboard lazarette
All hinged hatches are supported by gas cylinders.
2 sofas with high glossed varnished teak cockpit tables.